Why Join DEMA? What's In It for Me?
At the heart of joining DEMA or any trade association is finding out what the association has to offer, and seeing if the benefits fit your business’ needs. DEMA provides many benefits designed specifically for dive retailers, but also useful for members in any membership category. All include saving money and time, and many help find and bring in more customers.
In an average year DEMA provides more than $580.00 in annual direct benefits to each retail member, including:
- Public Relations Campaign
- Regional/National Advertising
- Co-op Advertising
- Legislative Advocacy
- and much more
That’s $580.00 in value for each retail member business, every year.
- The value presented by the production of DEMA Show
- The value of meeting face to face with other members of the Industry at DEMA Show
- The value of FREE and continuing use of the Be A Diver materials
- The retailer priority listing on www.BeADiver.com
- And the availability of many other benefits
In addition to the value of face-to-face meetings and education at DEMA Show, funds raised from the Show also go back into the Diving Industry to help promote the sustained growth of the sport.
Sales, Networking, Education and Achieving a Competitive Advantage
- One benefit of joining DEMA is the opportunity to network, learn, and gain a competitive advantage over other recreational businesses through DEMA Show.
- DEMA Show is a place for buyers and sellers to come together and conduct business, demonstrate products, and attend seminars.
- Attending makes sense because retailers can learn from other individuals in the same position we’re all in: taking the biggest business risk of our lives in the same industry.
- Most new store owners have never started a business from scratch, and few have time to work “on the business” instead of “in the business.”
- Why not save time and money by networking and learning from other retail professionals dealing with the same issues?
- For more than 30 years DEMA Show has been a great place to learn how to reach your business goals.
Education & Information
- Few dive centers have a marketing specialist, in-house counsel, or human resources department. DEMA’s marketing and business information resources can save time and money while advancing the business.
- Members have access to industry specific data on advertising, marketing and other topics, and seasoned retailers will find the exclusive retail and customer research, and sophisticated marketing information valuable too.
- At DEMA Show retailers can also attend seminars on business topics, environmental issues, legislation, and more, while Show exhibitors provide information on equipment, training, and travel.
Reaching More Customers
- Ask a new dive center owner about finding their first customer and they’ll tell you he/she will come from a referral, a family member or from a competing store where they used to work.
- Ask them where they will get their second and third customers and you might get a “deer in the headlights” look.
- DEMA offers programs and products that can help retailers find new customers and inexpensive or free materials to help bring them in.
- DEMA’s national PR campaign makes use of the Be A Diver Pool, BeADiver.com website, a New York-based PR firm to create campaigns that capture the interest of the media, and frequent communication with potential divers as well as the industry.
- DEMA generates millions of media impressions for recreational diving each year.
Local and Customized Market Research for the Retailer
- A unique benefit available to DEMA members is the use of a “geo-demographic” research database that helps pinpoint potential customers near the member store.
- This DEMA member benefit, coupled with Be A Diver advertising materials, available direct mail address lists, and local household data, helps member retailers reach their local potential audience more effectively.
- For non-DEMA members, this information would cost thousands of dollars! DEMA member retail stores can receive this for FREE!
- DEMA members also receive the benefit of a professional lobbyist who monitors and helps shape legislation having an impact on recreational diving.
- DEMA has testified on behalf of the diving industry before the US House of Representatives and US Senate, and continues to provide guidance to member businesses on local legislative issues.
So Why Join DEMA?
- Members save money and time, and have increased opportunities to reach additional customers, and more.
- DEMA is more than a trade show. Find out more, and join DEMA at www.dema.org.